[nabs-l] advice

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Mar 22 03:33:53 UTC 2010

forgive my candor as I mean what I'm about to say with all due respect.
Most blind and visually impaired people who don't carry canes are
attempting to pass as sighted. However, most also find themselves with
similar problems to your own and wonder how they can maintain their
appearance of being mostly sighted and yet deal with the fact that they
are not. The reality of your situation is that, unless you're willing
to say you're illiterate or learning disabled, there isn't any way for
you to stay in the closet as it were and still get the information you
need. As I see it, you have two choices: you can verbally identify
yourself as a blind or visually impaired person and ask them to
identify themselves based on the fact that you can't read their tag, or
non-verbally identify your need by carrying a cane or wearing a tag
that says "blind" or "visually impaired" on it. I assume you wish to
conduct yourself with dignity, so I highly suggest you consider
carrying a cane. I don't blame you if carrying a cane brings fear that
people will treat you differently. Unfortunately, they will. However,
your own comfort with your vision impairment will eventually rub off on
people to the point where they will treat you as a colleague rather
than some interesting display. This process is far easier than
wondering what the best way of meeting your needs without coming out
is. As I said, please forgive my frankness; I have been in this
situation myself and can honestly find no better way to assist you than
to be completely straightforward with you.

Respectfully,
Jedi