[nabs-l] advice

Maryann Migliorelli mrsmigs at migliorelli.org
Tue Mar 23 21:53:29 UTC 2010

Hello,  I didn't respond to this for a while but hope that you will consider
this thought.  I know plenty of folks who do consider themselves blind but
don't carry a cane openly when they aren't using it.  They do, however, keep
one in their bag or purse for convenient use when they do need it.  That
being said, they are very comfortable with their blindness and have no
problems asking for visual help when it's needed.  If you are comfortable
enough with your blindness and don't wish to carry a cane with you at these
meetings, you might just get comfortable saying, "Hello, I'm (blind,
visually impaired, not seeing well today, pick something that works for you)
and can't read your name tag.  Will you please share your information with
me/"
	Sometimes we have to ask this question even with the obvious signs
such as canes or guide dogs because people just don't think about it.  Let's
face it, we're an anomaly to most people in these situations.  Generally
people just take it for granted that everyone there will read their name
tag, and that they will do the same.  It's just something to keep in the
back of your mind going in so that you can be conscious of it and get
comfortable asking for the information you want.  I've been having to do
this at networking events for years.  It does get easier with time and as
you become more comfortable with talking openly about your blindness.
I hope this helps.
Maryann Migliorelli