[nabs-l] Blindness and Identity

autTeal Bloodwortho tealbloodworth at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 02:11:51 UTC 2010

very well said elizabeth

        -Teal
----- Original Message -----
From: "Elizabeth" <lizmohnke at hotmail.com>
To: <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Blindness and Identity

Wow, it appears as though the discussion on identity has grown a bit since I
last checked the list the other day. As a sociology major, I would have to
say that one’s identity is made up not only how someone sees themselves, but
also how others see them as well. How others see us is generally reflected
in how we see ourselves as well as the world around us.

In terms of the blind community having its own culture, I would agree with
this statement since the norms of the blind community are not always
reflected in the dominate culture. My American Cultures professor defines
culture as language and language as culture. Since the blind community
appears to have its own language, in that I mean our own unique way of
expressing ideas that are generally not expressed in the same way in
mainstream society, then I would say that the blind community does in fact
have its own culture. Since this culture appears to be in conflict with the
dominate culture found in our society, one could also argue that the culture
of the blind community could be considered as a counterculture as well.

As far as the discussion on being female and the ability to give birth, as a
woman, I believe that the ability to give birth does play a role in how
women shape their identity. While sex is defined as the characteristics of
being male or female that are given to us at birth, gender is defined as the
social definitions and expectations that are associated with being male or
female. One of the social expectations of being female is the ability to
give birth. While women have been given more choices in regards to the
ability to make their own decisions about this matter, I believe that it
still plays a role in how women see themselves in society as well as how the
general population sees the role of women in society.

Respectfully,
Elizabeth