[nabs-l] Pimp My Cane

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Mar 28 05:19:59 UTC 2010

Joe and all:

I can't imagine that it would make a big difference what color the cane
is. Originally, canes for the blind weren't white; it was the Lions
Club who figured it was a good idea to make canes white so that drivers
could see blind people better and know to stop for them. The brightness
of the cane was especially important then because we didn't have the
cane travel skills that we do now. In all reality, the need for the
cane to be white may be outdated. I'd say do whatever you like with
your cane. I know one lady who had one of those ribbed Iowa canes, and
she wrapped blue wire tightly in the ridges such that her cane was blue
from top to tip. I also heard tale of a company in New York somewhere
that makes black canes. So have at it Joe and we'll see your sporting
new fashion at the next big gig!

Respectfully,
Jedi