[nabs-l] Blindness and Identity

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Mon Mar 29 12:40:24 UTC 2010

Arielle,

Thank you for your observations, and re-focus on this topic.

I am blind, will always be blind, and will never remove myself from
blindness-related activities. My brothers are blind, my very significant
other is blind, and I am very involved in the work of the NFB in my state. I
am connected to blindness as part of my very identity. To me, and others
might argue the point, blindness defines who I am, but does not as a rule
limit what I do. I read Braille, am a member of the NLS talking books
program, worked for national braille Press, use Jaws, Kurzweil, and the
Franklin talking dictionary. These are tools at my disposal, and though the
tools themselves don't define what I do, they are how I do things. I have
certain beliefs about what blindness is, and is not, and I try to the best
of my ability to carry on with as a competent blind man. I don't simply
happen to be blind, I am blind, and a not ashamed to be so. That is just an
expression of me, from me. I am connected to blindness in a significant way.

As to working in the blindness field, I've done it, and if I have to, will
do it again. Not as a chore, but as a means of income, and job satisfaction.
Blind people need to be successful members of society, and not segregate
themselves around teaching or working with the blind.. If that is what one
wants to do, there is plenty of room for employment in blindness-related
professions. I think we need that. But my career choices and interests are
not restricted to my characteristic as a blind person. I wish to be a
successful, working man. To be quite honest, one probably does not have much
an opportunity to make say, a six figure salary working in the blindness
field. The opportunity is not there, from how I see it in my limited
knowledge of salary and compensation.

I don't measure success by the number of zeros at the end of my pay check,
but I have chosen a path outside blindness. I am not interested, and for the
most part want my success to be recognized by society at large. To work and
to give of oneself is an honorable thing, but to be recognized as capable by
the community at large speaks volumes to your ability to functions as a
fully-contributing individual.

Besides, most blind people will find success outside of the blindness
professions, simply by the limited number of jobs that exist in that arena.

I think my desire to want to be more in the community, and a little less in
the blind community is a reflection of NFB philosophy. If I view blindness
as a characteristic, I am likely to focus on more important things, since a
mere characteristic is not so important as principle, or one's goals. I
surely would never spend time with work in the field of an insignificant
characteristic. I don't belong, and would feel funny about belonging to the
parents of the green-eyed international. I would not want to focus my
attention, are rarely thing about the fact that I have green eyes. It's a
characteristic.

Either blindness is a characteristic about which we make no fuss, or it is
something bigger. If it's something bigger, perhaps Jernigan was wrong, or
we take him out of context.

My work in the blindness community is very important to me. Ask those close
to me how much I do, and how I enjoy working in the NFB, and you'll think
they are talking about another person, not the one writing this post. Why.
Not because I am a hypocrite, but because I realize there needs to be a
balance in how we spend our time. If I am blind, and have only blind
friends, and promote only the blindness cause, I can surely be called
narrow-minded, and not very dynamic. If all I can talk about is blindness
policy, and not politics and a wider range of the body of human knowledge
and affairs, you can count me as a little stagnant.

I see Arielle's example of having mostly blind friends, getting training,
and growing her social circle to include a sighted boyfriend, and others as
progressing out of her comfort zone, and finding acceptance in the more
immediate world around her. These are people she will be working with and
for, so it is a very good thing that she find her place beyond the one she
holds in our midst.

I will likely not stop working for the blindness cause, but to spend all of
my time in NFB meetings, as I believed Arielle mentioned, is an imbalance.

It all comes to choice. Some will never leave their homes and rocking
chairs. Some will stay attached to blindness organizations as a main course
of action. Some will balance their time and priorities, and some will want
nothing to do with the blindness organizations. Some will choose to work as
braille teachers, or Social Studies teachers. Some, and by far not most,
will direct and help run a training center for the blind, while others will
be managers and directors of mainstream organizations.

You reader will hopefully take up post in the profession you chose, or the
one where opportunity presents itself, and I hope you feel fulfilled
regardless of the kind of organization for which you choose to do good work.

Sincerely,

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall