[nabs-l] BrailleNote Apex--Braille keyboard v. computer keyboard

Briley Pollard brileyp at gmail.com
Sun May 2 22:11:18 UTC 2010

One of the advantages of an Apple IPad is that it starts up just as fast as a notetaker, and, (honestly), seems to have less issues than a notetaker. Also, getting an IPad repaired is far easier and less expensive than getting a notetaker repaired. We've all had to deal with Human-where-art-thou at some point, and I'd much rather take my IPad to an Apple Store than send my unit in for an undetermined period of time. Also, the accessibility is built in to Apple devices. I haven't had any issues with Voiceover being unreliable, and while nothing is perfect and everything will stop working at some point, I find using it much more pleasant and convenient than using an overpriced notetaker.

I miss having a notetaker sometimes because of the built in braille display, however since the IPad now supports bluetooth options, I am more comfortable with the idea of recommending the Apple option to students.

Briley