[nabs-l] canes and increasing sensation of blindness

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun May 2 23:19:50 UTC 2010

In my opinion a person should always use his/her cane, even when
using the sighted guide technique.  Ultimately, you are responsible
for your mobility -- not someone else.  It isn't fair to dump the
whole thing on them.  You have a vested interest in traveling
safely.  Finally, if a person is on your left side, for example, they
might misjudge the distance between you and an obstacle or another
person on the right, away from them.  If you are using your cane on
that side you will pick it up.

Dave