[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon May 3 08:05:09 UTC 2010

Briley,

Thanks so much for your letter. I have often had many of the same
sentiments you've expressed.

As I learn more about the Federation's past, I feel a stronger sense of
knowing when it comes to our present and future. I feel like a have a
sort of road map of solid roots that informs my opinion on how I feel
we ought to go about solving our more recent problems in society.

Reading our past also helps me appreciate how the Federation has
impacted my life outside of blindness. I find myself, for example, in
favor of collectivve action instead of solitary advocacy in just about
any situation where advocacy is needed. I also notice the federation's
can-do attitude and problem-solving skills working in my daily life
whether the issue is blindness-related or not.

It's really hard to quantify/explain how the federation, especially its
history, has influenced me. But I'm with you in that more of us need to
keep in touch with our history. In that way, we have a much better
sense of what it means to be blind.

Respectfully,
Jedi