[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon May 3 14:01:43 UTC 2010

The trend toward intense fundraising began well before the economic crisis.
And, I don't blame a nonprofit for engaging in fundraising.  Yet between
2001 and 2007, to me, there is almost a dramatic shift from grassroots
advocacy to a consumer provider.  Perhaps this was owed to the immense
ticket price of the building expansion, whose benefits I still do not see
outweighing the costs.  It is just one more item the future leadership will
need to administer with little direction as to what it is actually supposed
to accomplish.  There is a very fine line between living for the money and
living for your purpose.

My belief that the organization will fade is based on the general state of
the affiliates.  We cannot assume the organization is doing well based on
the Braille Monitor and yearly banquet addresses.  The decline of affiliate
activity has also been observed well before the economic crisis.  You can
teach a chapter how to organize itself, but if there are no funds to fuel
those strategies, where exactly is that chapter expected to turn?  There is
persistent pressure to raise money for what has now become an annual
fundraising drive at the national convention.  I do not much care for these
so-called friendly competitions among states to get the most pledges for
this Race for Independence.  How about a race for the states who can bring
the most people, to, convention?  The economy has only increased the rate at
which affiliates are not capable of proper recruitment and education at the
local level.

Fighting for an increase in social security caps?  That legislative item has
been around for years.  Social security is a third rail issue that will not
make progress in a climate where health care reform, financial reform and
immigration reform already dominate the headlines.  Cars that the blind can
drive?  How about giving blind people a destination to go with those cars.
Without jobs, blind people won't be able to move them, let alone afford
them, or do we honestly feel we will see a reasonable rate for the
technology that will navigate them.

I don't know that I agree young people are not willing to assume roles of
responsibility.  I think last summer's election is indicative of an eager
group that is willing to do what they can to help their peers.  I think the
bigger issue is attempting to carve out success while attempting to satisfy
Baltimore, often work with uncooperative state affiliates and energize a new
generation of young people who quite frankly do not necessarily see the
benefits of coming around the NFB unless it is for the festivities of the
annual convention.  There are always exceptions, but the older generation is
too reluctant to let go of the reins, and young people are not prepared
enough to take them over even if they had access.  I appreciate the benefits
of the STEM program the NFB has locked on to help youth explore careers in
math and science, but here's a reminder, not all youth, blind or sighted,
want to go to work for NASA.  To me, this too is another reminder of a loyal
finance base the NFB has worked up into a so-called innovative program.

Don't get me wrong.  Believe it or not, I have immense respect for the NFB.
It never fails to inspire me to aim higher when I come around NFB events.
Yet I fear that over the past several years my respect has mostly turned
from inspiration to admiration of the way it has so seamlessly transformed
itself without blatantly calling attention to itself.  This isn't civil
rights anymore.  This is a shrewd combination of public relations and
business practice.

Knowledge of the past is immensely important.  But, is it the young people
that need to be reminded most, or the older generation?

Sincerely,

Joe

database 5080 (20100502) __________

http://www.eset.com