[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon May 3 17:21:40 UTC 2010

Joe,

I first want to start by telling you that I agree with some of your
observations.

First, young blind people not in the Federation tend not to see its
benefits because there doesn't seem much worth fighting for and the NFB
seems not to value individual preferences. Many of the young non-NFB
folks I speak to tell me that they don't want to join because the NFB
doesn't seem to honor the fact that they prefer to use their remaining
vision or get more assistance than what most NFB-ers are comfortable
with. These young people also notice how easy it is to get what they
ask for in most situations. They're views on that tend to change when
they meet an obstacle they can't overcome alone. And yes, state-wide
events seem not to draw people in unless one lives in an affiliate that
caters to the young as well as those of middle age and older.

I think you're right that we find ourselves in a bit of a bind so far
as leadership is concerned. I don't think this is necessarily true
nationally, but I definitely see it more on the state level. I know
that Dr. Maurer has also observed this issue you're talking about in
terms of older people not ready to give up the reigns and younger
people not yet able to take them. I remember hearing him talk somewhat
about this issue at a youth leadership seminar I attended back in 2006.
I also think that Dr. Maurer and National are trying to address this
issue in the states by some of the events you're talking about such as
Youth slam. But first, I want to address your observations about fundraising.

You're right that there has become quite an emphasis on fundraising in
past years. It's not that that emphasis hasn't been there. It's just
that our fundraising techniques have changed and we require more money
to continue moving forward with our new programming. Back in the day,
our fundraising efforts included telephone solicitations, mailing
campeigns, greeting card sales, private wills, bequests, etc. These
things still go on, but I think we've really begun to understand how
helpful each individual member of our movement can be in getting funds,
especially with technologies like conveyo. The Race for
Independence/The March for Independence is a publicity campaign meant
to bring our efforts into the public mind and give a target for
individual community contributors to think about. For one thing, it's
much easier for a non-NFB person to give money if they feel there's
some kind of immediate cause and the March for Independence/Race for
Independence provides a spotlight and an immediate cause. More than
that, it gives us all a great excuse to freak out the local townspeople
wherever we happen to convene. *Grin*

about the places where our money goes. You're right that STEM programs
like Youth Slam are very focused and may not represent the career goals
of many students. However, these events include more than just science:
there are philosophy discussions, technology seminars, recreational
events, one-on-one mentoring opportunities, an opportunity to practice
independent movement, and opportunity for people my age to practice
mentoring and leadership skills, an opportunity to gain public
attention and support, and opportunity to network with other
foundations and agencies, and a way of giving young people contact with
our movement in a seeminly less threatening environment. My affiliate
has gained at least three participants since Youth Slam came around,
and other kids are asking questions about Youth Slam. The science stuff
is really just the surface of what we're really doing. If you haven't
served at a Youth slam, you may want to and you'll know what I mean.
And really, it takes a lot of money to put one of these on and support
the staff and facilities for those who participate. The Jernigan
Institute is definitely worth our money.

I also want to talk some about our leadership bind that I mentioned. I
think Youth Slam is one way to draw in and retain youth. The
Imagination grants are another way since they can be used for local
seminars. My affiliate just used a grant to put on a seminar for blind
youth, their parents, and the teachers and professionals who serve
them. The seminar was a great success and I think we've gotten some new
leadership out of it. The Affiliate Action crew has spent an aweful lot
of time and resources to bring many of us to Baltimore to train us in
ways that our affiliate leadership may not. for one thing, I've been to
many training seminars put on by Affiliate Action where I learned about
growing affiliates , teaching the philosophy, learning how to work with
older leadership, etc. So I feel that when I do find myself in a
leadership position, i'll be more than ready.

There is one thing I'd like to address spinning off your topic a bit. I
think you're right that that there are a lot of affiliates and chapters
where participation and energy are hard to come by. I experience that
quite a lot and it drains my energy and enthusiasm as a local leader. I
find it difficult to get excited about a project if I'm practically the
only one doing it. I guess this takes me back to Briley and her initial
statements. It's much easier and more meaningful to get involved in a
colllective effort when one knows about its history. I know that my
involvement has strengthened especially since I've learned the hard
core parts of our history. If nothing else, I feel responsible for
carrying out plans set forth by people who have suffered quite a lot on
my behalf.

About the car. That one's kind of tricky. I know what you mean in that
the car won't necessarily get us jobs in and of itself. I also hear
corbb about blind people getting on the road. I think Corbb's right
that we'll find some way to make sure blind drivers are as safe as our
sighted counterparts. I know there are a few reasons why we're working
with Virginia Tech to build this car. It's more than just blind people
doing the same as the sighted do. First of all, having a car will open
up a few more opportunities, especially to those who do not live in an
area with good transit and who don't have a lot of money to aford cabs
on a regular basis. Yes, the car itself would represent a considerable
investment, but it's hard to tell just yet how much greater that
investment would be compared to regular taxi service.In any case, the
car's technology will prove that a seemingly visual environment can be
adapted for non-visual use; technology manufacturers will then have no
more excuses not to build products with everyone in mind. Finally, the
general public can't imagine blind people walking around. Imagine how
much they're thinking will have to be re-examined when blind people
start driving! After all, the car has raised some interesting
discussion among blind people.

I hope I'm making some sense.

Respectfully,
Jedi