[nabs-l] Appreciating our roots. And, examining the tree and the forest

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sat May 8 15:29:33 UTC 2010

Hello,
I agree with many of your points very generally Heather. I also think Harry
and Joe's voices/experiences/points are valid, sincere, and not felt by only
a fringe minority. I do say though Heather that this is not a simple thing
and the three things you mention can not in reality be separated from
leadership, fundraising or veteran members as a causal relationship. I agree
above all the local health is where the most crucial effect happens, but it
is still a microcosm of what happens nationally. I agree all groups have a
similarity because all groups are made of humans, but I think in some ways a
better comparison would be with other organized civil right grassroots
campaigns.

Looking at that, as well as your church comparison, I believe leadership is
fundamental, crucially. Take Dr. King and the non-violent methods and
movement for change. It had both a bottom up and top down approach. But in
every case in history the bottom-up needs defined and vibrant and visionary
leadership. Dr. King inspired the very "bottom" and as well every level. He
went out in person and was deeply involved with communicating and
encouraging local groups. They worked with other groups such as the NAACP,
even though often times the groups were in very heated disagreement. Dr.
King worked hard with his staff to work together for common missions. He
also went out and marched with everyday people. The incidents before his
death are a perfect example. His staff and advisors did not think he should
take the time to go help the sanitation workers in person. Dr. King
disagreed. He saw the sanitation workers marching with signs that read "I am
a Man". This was bottom up~these were not members necessarily but they were
saying at the core, and peacefully, what the whole thing was about. Dr. King
realized this and that he must go support them and that it would also help
the overall national efforts to bring them in. His first attempt there was a
disaster, violence broke out. He and his staff then met with locals who were
prone to that, they came down strongly and got them turned around. Then Dr.
King came back and they did it again, without the violence.
People/Individuals could talk with Dr. King one on one. They all felt "he
cares about me/us". When Dr. King was murdered, the whole movement really
struggled...yes people went on but the effect was enormous. Leadership
counts huge!

Also as time went on, some of the "fights" became less obvious. Ironically
because of the victories it became harder to rally groups around more subtle
and hidden racism. And in a way that is the path, a civil rights
organization mission should be in the end to truly put itself out of a
mission. The very hard part is to keep active in that middle place, where
maybe the battles are less obvious or less "glamorous".

It (Dr. King's organization) also was very narrow in its philosophy (i.e. if
you thought violence had a place, the Southern Leadership group was not the
group for you and those voices were drummed out~obviously because at the
heart of Dr. King's movement was non-violence. This is proper and any group
with out a core philosophy which all agree to and embrace can not go in a
straight line direction to its goal. They had staff trained with exact
methods that worked~they paid local staff. Then they trained volunteers.
They kept to a message and methods that worked. But they were also open to
new ideas and gave locals the chance to make personal difference~to lay
their own lives on the line...for a very specific thing. This really helped
the movement.

On the other hand, generalized group think can fill stadiums with loyal
followers, but in the end those groups are less vibrant, less able to change
with changing needs, and in the end I believe they die out with only in
great part affecting those who fill the stadium. It can be a thing needing
great finesse and understanding of the members and even more, leadership, to
tell the line between group think and unified philosophy. The difference is
monumental.

Money is needed. Of course. But the methods of getting it are key. People
turn away when they feel they are only useful for that. Or they raise money
and then it is not spent appropriately. Or they raise money with basically a
"spin" on the reason. People eventually realize this and feel it...it may
work short term but not long term. Take a church which constantly asks for
money but never spends any on missions, just the building fund. Well a lot
of good people leave that kind if thing~and well there could be long
discussions on that.

Also some churches seem so desperate~you join and you can tell they look at
new people as looking to you to fix what is broken, or maybe to do the jobs
no one has wanted to. Some want to keep people working in the nursery for
example, and only the same old same old get to lead a Bible study or speak
from the podium. New ideas are feared or shunned. There are cliques of the
"popular". This is human behavior that sneaks into all groups and the
leadership has to be proactive in repealing it.

And finally being totally open about how the staff are paid verses
accounting with trails and attempts of veils of routes for the salaries to
give an appearance or with a intended purpose to make an organization able
to say something or give some image with "accuracy"...that kind of lowered
integrity or IMO, scam, seeps in like a stain. Likewise shifting statistics
and slanting in favor...this has a short term great soundbite and short term
positive effect but does not stand the test of time. Often sadly the real
statistics are bad enough and sources valid so it was not really
needed...These points are very valid and how they are answered does indeed
determine the long term health of an organization.

And finally as Barbara Pierce always likes to say, "The world is run by the
people who show up" If you don't show up you can have no effect at all.

Carrie Gilmer