[nabs-l] Basic Questions About Mac versus Pc

Briley Pollard brileyp at gmail.com
Sat May 8 21:17:34 UTC 2010

I can speak to a few of your questions, and will leave the others who have been using Macs longer than I.

I was always a PC user, but after much frustration with viruses, computer crashes of doom, etc, I got a Mac. I've used it exclusively, (gave up Windows cold turkey as it were), since December. Here are my general impressions.

You have to not expect VoiceOver to be Jaws because Snow Leopard isn't Windows. The way it interacts with programs gives me just as much control over everything I need, (internet, music, word processing, EMail, etc), as Jaws, just in a different way. I took this out of the box, turned it on, and it was 100 percent workable. I can't speak to the changes in Voiceover since I'm a relatively new user, but I know that I don't miss Jaws at all, and I'd been using it for twelve years.

The Mail client is so easy to use, and a lot easier than Outlook to me. Of course, I find everything on the Mac very easy to understand. I think this fits in though with the general commentary that Macs are really user friendly and self explanatory. Everything was very intuitive, once I stopped trying to get things done using windows keyboard shortcuts. Multiple EMail accounts are easy to manipulate, and the RSS reader is built right in.

Voiceover is also a very customizable screen reader. For example, I have my verbosity settings set so that when I'm over a link in the browser, it beeps instead of saying "link". You can also change it so that way it says link before the link text, or link after, if that is what you want. It is easily tailored to your individual needs. I'm sure there are a lot of things that it can do which I haven't discovered yet.

Text Edit comes with the Mac, (similar to Note Pad, except I find it does a lot more than that). It has fulfilled all of my word processing needs so far, but there are accessible options for office suite applications. I don't have them, so someone else might want to expound on IWork, but I've heard great things.

Voiceover fixes usually accompany any system update, and Apple has been great at responding to accessibility requests. For example, I EMailed them after the recent ITunes update to inform them of some issues I was having. I got an EMail response in 10 minutes asking for more information. Shortly thereafter, (probably due to the fact they were getting 100 EMails a day like mine), ITunes came out and our issues were solved. It is an attitude of universal access. I've just grown to semi expect that an application will work, and I have very rarely encountered things that are inaccessible to me, (as long as they don't include flash, but I'm sure you already knew that).

The track pad commander on the MacBook Pros is also brilliant. It has gestures similar to that of the IPhone OS, and makes navigating around the system really intuitive. The internet is a breeze. I just need a few fingers, and I'm set to go.

I've also never had a problem with my Mac freezing etc. I know computer problems happen on every platform, but I've experienced none thus far. If Voiceover gets cranky, (occasionally happens if I haven't restarted in a few weeks), I just hit command f5 a few times, and it's back to normal.

It was a little overwhelming at first learning a new screen reader and a new OS, but I found that once I stuck with it, it all became natural to me. I turned on my roommate's computer the other day, and kept trying to make Jaws work with Voiceover commands. I also installed some software for her, and the process was a lot more arduous on windows than it is for me on my Mac. I plug something in, and it pretty much works with no fussing from me. This has taken a lot of the guess work out of things for me.

I hope this has helped. If I think of anything I forgot, I'll repost. If you ever want to see Voiceover in action some time, let me know. I'd be happy to demo it for you.

Briley