[nabs-l] volunteer experiences

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 23:10:00 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Can you share what volunteering you've done.  I think volunteering has many beneficial purposes including building skills, experience, networking, and a way to help the community.  Often organizations serve blind and disabled people, so if we volunteer we can serve being on the other end.  I am putting out volunteer applications to nonprofits while I look for a job; I don't want a big gap on my resume.

I volunteered at my talking book library checking/rewinding tapes.  I also volunteered at  a shelter with my church.  I tutored children as well with Campus ministry in college.
But have not done too much in depth.

Anyone volunteered at a food bank at a warehouse where you sort food?  Soup kitchen?  I've thought about that but not sure if its visual; I mean would you need to read labels to sort food items.  For serving at a soup kitchen, I imagine its big with lots of people; I wonder if you need to see the  dishes and people so you know they are there to serve.  I know once I have the dish, serving can be done by just placing the food on the plate and I can judge the amount and where the food is by feeling with the utensil.  I have tunnel vision so I'd use that too.

I'm also looking into volunteering at hospitals and nonprofit offices. I don't foresee much access issues in the office as long as jaws is compatable with the programs on their computers.

Any advice or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

Ashley