[nabs-l] volunteer experiences

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon May 10 15:58:58 UTC 2010

Hi all,
 Jewl you bring up some great ideas.  the  biggest thing is finding
something that you will enjoy and invest your time in it.  I think
it's very important to    present ourselves as individuals that can,
will and do give back to their communities.  Think about it, with any
person a community gives so much to us; blind or not, and to give
something back that someone gave to us  can be a verypositive and
uplifting expirience.  some say, that  giving back is good for the
soul.
 I've worked with blind seniors and youth in recreational programs and
 worked in community gardens as well. I've done mass mailings and
recruitment visits for non-profits and am looking to expand and do
more work with  the sierra club and AmeriCorps Alums programs.
 I did  a bunch of  different things on project rounds with
AmeriCorps as well.
 Darian