[nabs-l] Fwd: [Members] Airline apologizes for forgetting blind teen

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sun May 16 19:58:00 UTC 2010

Hello, all,
  I agree that we should be careful about passing judgment on this
girl and the situation. Yes, she should have been more assertive;
getting out her cane and walking in the general direction toward the
front of the plane should have gotten her the assistance she needed,
and it is odd that no other passenger offered help as everyone was
getting off the plane. However, as Daryl said, it is typical for many
airlines to ask passengers requiring special assistance to be the last
to get off the plane, so if she was asked to do this then forgotten,
she would definitely deserve an apology from the airline. Also, keep
in mind that this may have been her first time flying alone, and her
nervousness about the new situation may have affected her judgments.
In any case, I wouldn't put all the blame on this blind girl without
having more information, and it may not be entirely appropriate to
label this article as "bad press" on the blind.