[nabs-l] How to Files - Traveling by Air

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Mon May 17 00:55:52 UTC 2010

While airports can often seem like some of the most confusing places to
navigate, they are often the most simple. Consider a couple of points.

Gates are usually organized in numerical order. For many airports, think of
the gate area as a long hallway. Some will have all of the gates on one side
of the hallway and other places (restaurants, gift shops, bathrooms, etc.)
on the other side. Other airports place odd gates on one side and even gates
on the other side. A few larger airports will have two different sets of
gates, one on each side of the hallway, such as the A gates on the left and
the B gates on the right.

In many cases, these gates will be 50-100 feet a part from each other. So
you can use this judgment to get an idea of about how many gates you've
traveled. What you may try doing once you find the right concourse is to
travel down a few gates and then ask someone which gate is nearest to you.
You can also ask if it's on the left or right side.

If you can avoid printing your ticket at the airport, you may save the
hassle of having your seat reassigned or having your ticket flagged as
needing special assistance. For shorter trips, it's often very feasible to
not check any bags. Remember, you are allowed one carry-on and one personal
item. Many travelers stretch this to using a laptop bag as a personal item
and a smalled wheeled suitcase as their carry-on. It can generally measure
22 by 14 by 9, though some airlines allow bags a bit larger and as long as
you're close to this number, you won't be singled out by a gate agent or TSA
employee. If you can stick to carry-on luggage and print your boarding pass
before you arrive at the airport, you can go straight through security to
your gate without your seat being moved or any airline agents messing with
your reservation.

Be sure to check on your flight from time to time to ensure the gate hasn't
changed or your flight is still running on time. If you can use text
messaging on your phone, you can send a message with your airline and flight
number to Google (46645). For instance, text "aa 2500" for American Airlines
flight 2500. You will receive a text back with the current information.
Alternatively, most airports offer wi-fi Internet access. While there is
usually a fee to access the Internet, usually the airport website and/or
flight tracker is accessible for free.

Also, you may be looking for a snack or some food. You can either wander
down your concourse and listen for sounds of grills, glasses clanging, cash
registers, people ordering, etc. Or, the airport's website will often have a
list of food establishments and other landmarks. The better websites also
show where in each concourse a particular place can be found, such as the
nearest gate.

Who's next?
Thanks, Joe, for starting this very useful idea.

J.J. Meddaugh - ATGuys.com
A premier Code Factory, KNFB Reader, and Sendero distributor