[nabs-l] Instructions on adding BrailleNote as Braille Display

Allison Manzino gwennacast at gmail.com
Mon May 17 13:13:08 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Since I have successfully just paired my BrailleNote with my Macbook I decided to include step by step instructions for those who might be having the same trouble. It's finiky at best, but it does work after several attempts. If you are having trouble, you are welcome to E-mail me offlist and we can chat either by messenger or via Skype. As someone who loves to have the flexibility of the Braille display, I can't picture living without it and would love to assist anyone who is having difficulty. Here are the steps I take.

1. On the BrailleNote press O Chord.
2. Press C which will bring up the connectivity menu.
3. Navigate to Bluetooth and hit enter.
4. If Bluetooth is off press Y to turn it on
5. After turning Bluetooth on, go down to where it says search for devices.
6. Press Y for yes.
7. Once the BrailleNote finds the Macbook, press enter.
8. Navigate to Active sync and press enter.
9. If the BrailleNote is paired with the Macbook press R to remove the pairing. You may have to do this several times until the Braillenote reports that the pairing has been removed.
10. Once this has occured, pair the Macbook with the BrailleNote again by hitting active sync under Macbook in list of Bluetooth devices.
11. A dialog will be displayed and ask if you would like to pair the BrailleNote with the Mac. Hit Y for Yes. It will ask you for an authentication code. Type number sign 0000 in regular braille not nemeth code. Then hit enter.
12. The Macbook will display a pairing request you type 0000 in to the box that comes up and hit Pair. The Braillenote will display paired.
13. Then from the main menu of the BrailleNote hit T which will put it in to terminal mode. Hit B for Bluetooth port if it's not the default port. It will say Braille terminal. Bluetooth. Hit enter again and the Macbook should begin displaying.

I hope my instructions are clear and not confusing. I need a second cup of coffee. I hope that helps, I wish the BrailleNote stayed connected to the Macbook all the time without having to pair every single time. Wonder if it's because I have an older BrailleNote Mpower and not the Apex. Well, take care and thank you to Erik and all for assisting me with this problem. Your patience are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Allison