[nabs-l] Airlines and Federation History

Tony Grima agrima at nbp.org
Tue May 18 13:37:39 UTC 2010

Hi all - I just wanted to de-lurk and mention that National Braille
Press is publishing a new book on traveling next month - Sites Unseen:
Traveling the World Without Sight, by Wendy David - and it gets at this
sort stuff that you've been discussing here. An early draft description
of the book is below. We'll be announcing it (and the pricing) when it
rolls off the press in a couple of weeks - I'll post the announcement to
this list.

Best,
Tony Grima, NBP

DRAFT DESCRIPTION: "I once had an airline escort argue with me that if I
didn't get in the wheelchair, he wouldn't show me to the gate. I chose
to 'go it alone' and report him later." This gives you a hint of what's
inside Wendy David's new book, Sites Unseen: Traveling the World Without
Sight. Wendy and her partner Larry, both of whom are blind, have
traversed the globe and kissed a few sea lions along the way. "People
are always asking us," says David, "how do you manage foreign currency,
how do you get through customs with a dog guide, who describes the
unique sights to you, or how do you get around countries without public
transportation?" I realized I could write a guide on how to travel when
blind in a way that enhances the experience." This is not a
what-to-see-in-Paris book; this is a how-to book for blind travelers.
"There are so many resources out there for travelers with disabilities,"
says Wendy, "people just don't know about them."
In Braille, eBraille, and DAISY