[nabs-l] airlines and federation history

Rania raniaismail04 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 11:17:25 UTC 2010

I like that idea!
Rania,

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Jedi
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:36 PM
To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] airlines and federation history

Josh,

Perhaps. However, in Walking Alone and Marching Together, Dr. Jernigan
speaks of a test run they did where blind folks were in charge of opening
emergency exit doors. They videotaped the whole thing and timed it; they
found that the blind folks were as efficient as the sighted ones are
expected to be. The reviewers of the tape did notice a slow down, but it was
because flight attendents (trying to help of course) got in the way of the
blind people's progress. Exit doors are going to be fairly consistent. If
folks are worried about it, this kind of thing (opening the exit doors)
could become part of our blindness training or part of some NFB workshop put
on at a convention or something.

Respectfully,
Jedi

PS. The sighted folks opening the door may be at a disadvantage since,
often, a cabin will be dark and they'll be too stressed out to sit and read
the directions. Since that's normal for us, we actually have the advantage.