[nabs-l] Workforce Recruitment Program?

B.J. LeJeune BJLejeune at colled.msstate.edu
Mon Oct 4 18:06:53 UTC 2010

I recently attended a meeting in Washington where they indicated that
this program was going to be growing beyond just Federal Agencies from
the DoD as President Obama has ordered all Federal Agencies to have at
least 2% of their employees be persons with significant disabilities.
In the past two years, I have seen a number of people recruiting for
this program from agencies including the State Department , the CIA and
NASA.  It looks good!

BJ

>>> Brice Smith <brice.smith319 at gmail.com> 10/4/2010 9:51 AM >>>
Hi,

I received an announcement from my University's career center about
the "Workforce Recruitment Program." According to the notice,

":
The purpose of the program is to refer students with disabilities for
employment at federal worksites throughout the United States.
Participating organizations have an interest in placing qualified
persons with substantial disabilities in summer and permanent
positions.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy
and the U.S. Department of Defense coordinate the program. A wide
variety of other federal agencies also participate in the consortium."

The notice goes on to ask students with disabilities from blindness to
psychiatric disabilities to apply online and submit resumes and other
supporting documents. Apparently, recruiters interview students at
their university and enter their information in a federal database;
employers can search through applicants information and personally
offer employment or internships to students directly. Accommodations
are provided by the employer.

>From last years data about 25% of applicants were offered some type
of
employment around the world. Of course, the notice advises students to
use this as only one of many opportunities they explore for work.

Has anyone ever applied for or been offered summer employment through
this service? The idea sounds intriguing enough, but I've never heard
of the service and sort of question the competitiveness of the whole
thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight or information.

Brice