[nabs-l] book requests from publishers

Corbbmacc O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:05:21 UTC 2010

I will have a more definitive answer for you after the NFB of Virginia
Student Luncheon, in November where I will be interviewing the
Executive Director of the Association of American Publishers. (For
those in the greater Virginia area who wish to come...let me know and
I'll get you the details.)

For now, though, I can tell you that many publishers require proof of
purchase. However, that purchase does not have to be a new book.
(They'd prefer that, clearly, as that's the transaction where they
reap the financial benefit.) Many will allow you to purchase the book
used (as sighted students do) as long as you can provide an original
receipt. Or, many publishers do let you do what Sarah referred to --
purchasing the electronic (PDF) version of the book. In any event, you
can certianly make the argument to the publisher (as I have done for
four years with the help of George Washington University's Disability
Support Services office) that any sighted student could purchase a
used or electronic version of the book...so why can't I? No publisher
has ever opposed that idea to me.

Best of luck -- and let me know if I can be of more help!

Corbb O'Connor, President
Student Division, NFB of Virginia