[nabs-l] scientific calculators

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Mon Oct 18 05:11:56 UTC 2010

Howdy folks,
I've been wondering something. What do these dedicated scientific
calculators, which retail for a few hundred bucks for an accessible
model, do that I can't do with either the windows calculator in
scientific mode, Microsoft Excel, or a similar solution under another
operating system? Seems to me these do the same sorts of things, and
they don't cost extra. Plus you get the added benefit of being able to
paste the results of your calculation directly into something like an
exam paper or homework write-up. The dedicated devices also tend to have
precision issues if the numbers get too large, or arbitrarily too close
to 0. There are software programs, some of them free, which don't suffer
from this shortcoming. I can't see the benefit of spending $300 for
something like this, unless you just really want a dedicated device to
use as a calculator for some reason. Someone care to set me straight here?
--
They say god has always been. Linux and I will now disprove that:
$ ar m God