[nabs-l] Capta

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 20 14:27:34 UTC 2010

Good morning everyone,

    And if you're blind and deaf you really have a problem with these
things. Much has been done to create audio alternatives but nothing is being
done to make these CAPTCHAs make their information available tactually. I've
said it before and will say it again. If we can build an interface to allow
a blind person to drive a car independently we should be able to create a
way for screen readers to read CAPTCHA information and reproduce it both
audibly and tactually so those with severe hearing impairments can have full
access to Web sites where these things are used. In light of our work with
Virginia Tech the excuse that the technology to accomplish this isn't there
doesn't wash with me. The same is also true of the blind driver interface
but we're moving full speed ahead on that one. We should be doing the same
with improving the usability of CAPTCHAS.

Peter Donahue