[nabs-l] basic cooking questions about meat

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 30 23:30:20 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm abeginner cook as well.  Some questions.  How do you determine that meat is done?  I know the package or recipie gives you an estimate but ovens vary and sighted people look at it.  I know the firmness is probably one way.

To make a hamburger on the stove, you cook it in a skillet.  But how do you know when to turn it?  Common knowledge?  How do you know its done?
Same for pork chops; my mom cooks them in a skillet and seasons them a little. How do you know its done?
What prepackaged things are out there for meat? Is hamburger helper salty?  Maybe I'll try it if its not too processed and salty.

Thanks.
Ashley