[nabs-l] Personal aides and other services in school

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 23:02:25 UTC 2010

When I was in elementary school, I had an aid throughout grades k-8. In the
primary grades, the aid acted as my sighted guide (and assisted me with Phys
Ed). They also worked in conjunction with my TBVI. All of my aids learned
Braille, so they transcribed printed materials into Braille and visa versa.
I did not have a lot of technology in elementary school, so used the Perkins
Brailler for the majority of my home and schoolwork. The only computer
training  I received (at least until 6th grade) was using an apple computer
with very large disks and the echo speech synthesizer. Then in sixth grade,
I received a PC and other assistive technology.
    In 6-8 grade, my time with the aid was shortened to half a day and she
would be there only if I needed her for describing math problems, or
assisting me with science experiments. In high school, the aid acted solely
as a Braille transcriber. I rarely even saw her.
I was the first and only blind student in my elementary school. No other
blind students have attended the elementary school since then. I was also
the first blind student in my high school. Several blind students have
attended since I graduated. I think having an aid was essential to my
education. The teachers had no idea of how to teach a totally blind student,
and the aid assisted them with doing this.

Hope and Beignet