[nabs-l] navigating in crowds and open spaces

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 5 01:15:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have a similar question to Kerri's.
I grew up with O&M service since elementary school and got some through the Dept for the blind here.  But still struggle with some areas of O&M.

How do you navigate crowds?  For instance a crowd gathering for a picnic or event.  Its noisy and I can't use hearing as usual to navigate.  What about crowded vacinities such as a mall or train station?  Do you just ask for directions and navigate best you can?  In my experience tactile landmarks may or may not be touchable in a crowd because people are all around them.  How do you hold your cane in a crowd?

Next question concerns open spaces.  I have tunnel vision but cannot always use it depending on lighting.  I also want to give suggestions to my friends who are more blind then me.
What tips can you share for open spaces where there may not be something to shoreline with your cane?  I use my vision if available, tactile landmarks and echos.
Sometimes where you're walking may be away from or toward a smell which is helpful.  How do you maintain a straight line of travel?  Its so easy to get turned around.
Echos only seem to help when I'm near enough to the building.  Open spaces such as the campus quad or some parts of a mall are examples of open spaces like this.  Unfortunately some blind people I've talked to believe open spaces including parking lots are places to avoid.  That stems from low expectations and just not knowing the alternative techniques others use.

Look forward to your responses.

Ashley