[nabs-l] navigating in crowds and open spaces

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 01:45:10 UTC 2010

Ashley and list
  I’ll first speak to cane  technique.  If I’m in a crowd, I use
pencil  grip because it’s  best for insuring that you don’t trip
people, you don’t get your cane broken, and I find that you only are
going to  need to know what’s a foot or so ahead of you if even that
much as you are not traveling very fast anyway.
 In open  spaces I use  an open palm grip (assuming  that the cane in
use is a long white cane)I find  that by wrapping my hand around the
handle of the cane with my palm facing skywardas the technique is
utilized, will allow me to use the lenth of my cane and pick up
objects around me and travel at my natural pace.
As  orientating goes, If I am looking for something I might ask  for
directions,.  If I am in a mall, or airportor something like that, I
mayalso ask if there is a landmarknear my desired location (“ is there
a  restaurantor some other type of land mark near the restroom?” “or
if I find pete’s  Coffie, have I gone too far past the rest room?”)
If I’m not sure and I think I’m near the area, I can  ask  another
personif I am going the right direction by repeting the initial
question I probably asked at first “excuse me, I am looking for the
rest room. Might I be going in the right direction?” or “is it this
way?” and point in the direction that I think it may be.
 I think you have the right idea as it relates to using echoes and
tactal landmarks.
 I think there are probably ten or twenty different ways people may go
about it and I am interested to hear what folks have to saytoo!
  Darian