[nabs-l] Personal aides and other services in school

William ODonnell william.odonnell1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 13:13:08 UTC 2010

This is a good topic to discuss.  I attended school as a child growing up in the late 80S and through the 90S when progressive computer technology was in its infancy in this country.
I came from a large school district on Long Island, NY where there were TVI’S who traveled to each school in the local district.  They were required to see there students on a one-to-one basis each day on a specific schedule.  I was the only blind student in the schools I attended so, I was given basic Braille instruction and O&M instruction.  I learned to use a cane when I was 10 years old since my school did not want me to stand out or hurt anyone with it.  While I was in elementary school, a Para was hired to be an escort and assist the teachers who did not know how to deal with a blind student.  In most cases, I navigated on my own or with other classmates.  My day-to-day social interactions with other students were somewhat limited due to administrations fears of personal injury and the good old words, liability, insurance, etc do to blindness.
Since the internet was unavailable in most of my life growing up, I did not have any knowledge about the NFB or any advocacy organizations.  In addition, as a result of this, adequate information and resources to proper services were unavailable for my family and I to utilize. My family and I believed that what was going on was OK.
	When I was around middle-school age, I did receive training on something called a Braillemait for note-taking purposes.  Later on, we learned that this peace of equipment could only handle small tasks and could not be used for creating large text files.  I was then instructed on the use of a Dos PC for using WordPerfect for this task.  Once the internet boom of the late 90S was upon us, I was able to begin using a PC with Jaws, as well as a dos-based device for note-taking called an Aria
When my district kept socially promoting me and denying me to take the standardized tests for college as a result of a “learning disability”, I required them to send me to Perkins School for the Blind, to fix the inadequate education I received.  The false reports and inadequate information lead the individuals at Perkins to first think that I had a learning disability.  Unfortunately, funding was short so Perkins could not pick up the slack for 12 years of improper education and fix it in 2.  As a result, I started college with many struggles but was later relieved to find out through extensive testing and remediation that I never had a learning or cognitive disability.  I have become a successful college graduate after all of this.  As a community, we are responsible for our future generation.  In essence, I fell that we need to go person by person, family, by family to insure that these problems become diminished since all families in our
 community do not have support and endurance for handling the inadequate educators in this country.