[nabs-l] Heightened Senses

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 23:46:55 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Today I had the rare privilege to meet some of my favorite Fox News Channel
personalities.  One of my friends from judo practice made it happen, and
while we were telling one of the anchors about how we'd met, she, the
anchor, said judo must not come all that difficult for me since it only made
sense that with the loss of sight, my other senses would be enhanced.  I
only consider myself a somewhat average judoka, but I did not have a brief,
witty comment to educate her on my reality that my hearing and other senses
are similarly average.  My sense of smell is most definitely not impressive.
I had too many questions of her to bother correcting the misperception.

My questions are these:

1. Do you feel that blindness has enhanced your other senses?

2. How do you generally field remarks like these?

Under normal circumstances I would have more time to educate people.  If the
anchor in question weren't one of my favorites, I may have taken a more
instructive tone, but in general I want to answer such perceptions
accurately and succinctly.  Church is another one of those venues where you
want to be polite but informative.

Anyway, all thoughts welcomed.

Best,

Joe