[nabs-l] Burlington Hawk Eye Now Accessible to Blind and Print-Disabled People

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Sep 22 01:01:41 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Michael Barber, President

(515) 771-8348
E-mail: michael.NFBI at gmail.com

Burlington Hawk Eye Now Accessible to Blind and Print-Disabled People

Des Moines, Iowa (September 21, 2010): Michael
Barber, president of the National Federation of
the Blind of Iowa (NFBI), Iowa's largest blind
consumer organization, announced Saturday at the
group’s state convention that the Hawk Eye
newspaper is now accessible to blind and
print-disabled Iowans through
NFB-NEWSLINE®.  NFB-NEWSLINE®, a service of the
National Federation of the Blind, allows those
who cannot read conventional newsprint due to a
visual or physical disability to listen to
newspapers and magazines over the telephone, on
the Web, or by download to a digital talking-book
player.  Through the service, blind and
print-disabled people can access over three
hundred newspapers and magazines independently,
determining how, when, and where they wish to
read their favorite publications.

The Hawk Eye is the latest Iowa newspaper added
to NFB-NEWSLINE®.  The first Iowa newspaper
became available on NFB-NEWSLINE® in 1996.

Jerry Jackson, president of the Southeast Iowa
Chapter of the NFBI and a Burlington resident,
said: “It’s exciting to be able to read my local
paper, just like sighted people do.  And I can read it wherever I am.”

Michael Barber said: "We are thrilled that the
Burlington Hawk Eye has joined
NFB-NEWSLINE®.  Each accessible paper is like an
oasis in the information desert that exists for blind people.”

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a
statewide organization of blind and sighted
individuals changing what it means to be blind by
educating the public about the abilities of blind
persons to lead productive and self-sufficient
lives, and advocating for their rights to do so.

# # #