[nabs-l] Heightened Senses

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 21:58:46 UTC 2010

I think our other senses are just as good or bad as everyone else's, but we use them more and more often, which in practice makes it seem as though they are better. It doesn't really matter if the actual senses are better or not. What's clear is that if one has been blind for a long time (even more if one has been blind since birth) he/she develops other senses more than others, which doesn't necessarily mean that they are any better. I also think that my sense of smell is particularly terrible. I just never use it for anything useful. If I think of a sighted person using hearing just like I use my sense of smell, I can totally understand why they think that I hear  better than them. I guess the older the person gets, the harder it is to further develop senses. And this is just a guess, because I'm not really sure about it.

Ignasi