[nabs-l] some very beginner, basic cooking questions!

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 01:44:42 UTC 2010

Hi All!

I am very basic at cooking as I haven't been taught much but wanted to
experiment and try to make a couple of simple-sounding recipes. I had
some questions however, as I am a bit confused.

I should first begin by saying I can not use the stove at this time. I
have a crockpot, a George Foreman Grill, a microwave, and a small
toaster oven. However, even with these limitations, I feel I can make
some things. I won't clutter this email with the reasoning. I am also
totally blind, and have no residual vision.

First, when a recipe calls for a table spoon of something, does it
mean the measuring spoon (the biggest spoon in the measuring spoon
set) or does it mean one of those larger spoons used at the table for
eating/ocasionally mixing things?

The first recipe I'd like to try making is scrambled eggs in the
microwave. Yes, it can be done, and from the reviews I've read it's
pretty tasty, easy and quick. I am confused though because I have read
several recipes for microwave scrambled eggs and they all say
different things. Some say put the eggs in the microwave for 30
seconds, then mix with a fork/whisk, then put it in for another 10
seconds, mix again, then keep putting it in for 10 second intervals
until the eggs are done. Others however say to put the eggs in the
microwave for 2 minutes, and take the eggs out after one minute and
stir. I like my eggs very thick, and well done; I don't like them
runny. I don't want to overcook the eggs...should I do 30 seconds then
stir at 10 second intervals or put it in for 2 minutes stirring at 1
minute intervals?

Also, I like a lot of butter in my eggs. Some recipes say a table
spoon, others say 2 teaspoons (I know the teaspoon is the littlest
spoon so that doesn't sound like much), and others say a small pat of
butter. Do I need to literally measure out a tablespoon or can I just
cut a square pat of butter from the stick? Will it hurt the eggs at
all or affect the taste drastically if I accidentally put too much
butter in?

Some recipes say to put a tablespoon of water or milk into the eggs.
Is this a good idea or will it make them more liquidy/runny? I don't
want my eggs to taste rubbery but I don't like them liquidy either.

Some recipes also say to lightly cover the bowl with the eggs in it.
Does this have to be done? Couldn't I just fix the eggs uncovered?

Another recipe I'd like to try is grape jelly meatballs in the
crockpot/slow cooker. These may sound gross, but essentially all you
do is take frozen meatballs (you can also make your own), a jar of
grape jelly, and a jar of chilli sauce, put it in the crockpot, and
let it go. I've been told they are very good. However, some recipes
say to dump the chilli sauce, meatballs, and grape jelly  in the
crockpot and let it go, while others say the grape jelly and chilli
sauce needs to be mixed well before putting the meatballs in. Should I
mix the chilli sauce, and grape jelly or just throw it all in? Once
the meatballs finish cooking, Does it affect the taste at all whether
the sauce is mixed or not?

Speaking of meatballs, sometime I would also like to try baking them
in the oven. Does it matter which type of breadcrumbs I use? There are
many different types.

Also, I read that browning ground beef is just heating it to a 160
degree temperature so the bacteria are killed off. You can either do
this in the microwave or the conventional way on a stove. Have any of
you ground beef in the microwave and if done properly does it taste
the same as browning it on the stove?

One thing I really like is chicken. I usually get the boneless,
skinless frozen chicken breasts. Currently, the only thing I know how
to do with them is to put hot sauce on one, put it on the George
Foreman grill, and cook it for 7 or so minutes. However, this gets old
after a while. Is there any simple marinades or anything I can buy
that I can lather on the chicken, and either bake it or grill it? I
know marinades can be made from scratch but I'm at a very simple basic
level of cooking right now so am just looking for something simple.

Is it a good idea to get a talking meat thermometer? Should I just get
the $115 one sold at the Independence market?

I am a very literal, over-analytical person who tends to overthink
 everything. When I look at recipes, and they all say differing
things, I get confused. Also, when a recipe says to use a bowl, I
can't figure out whether it means a big bowl, a medium-size bowl, a
small bowl, or  a mixing bowl. When it says combine something I
wonder...does that mean to just put the items in the bowl or does that
mean throw the items in the bowl, and mix them? When a recipe says to
mix something, I wonder... with a big mixing spoon, with a spoon you
eat with, a fork, or a whisk. When beginning to first cook, did you
also have these types of problems/questions? How do you get over
this...just with practice and experimentation?

Thanks so much!
Kerri