[nabs-l] Northern Illinois University

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 15:42:42 UTC 2010

Dear Liz,
Thank you for writing to me! I read about NIU on-line, and it peaked
my interest. So, I have a lot of questions. I'll start with questions
about the campus in specific, if you don't mind? I don't want to
overwhelm you with too many questions. I'll also ask a few questions
about your studies, to get an idea of your perspective?

1. What program are you studying in? In what department?
2. Are you blind? If you don't mind sharing, what is your visual acuity?
3. Do you use a white cane or a guide dog for mobility?
4. What accommodations do you use at the university, and how do the
professors react to your presence (do they talk to you prior to the
beginning of classes starting to get to know your needs, and try to
accommodate you, or do the majority put most of the work on DSS?)
5. Speaking of DSS, what is the Disability Services at NIU like? Are
they helpful or something you try to go to only on necessity?
6. What is the overall accessibility like, from a blind perspective?
Are there difficult obstacles? Are the buildings easy or hard to
orient to? How long did it take you to get used to the campus for your
first semester?
7. What is the campus like overall, mobility wise? Are there many
stairs with ramps out of the way? Do buildings have elevators
available and placed in useful locations?
8. How much walking do you do to get from class to class during the
day? Are the buildings far apart?
9. What do you like the most about the university? What do you like the least?
10. Aret here any other details about the university you think are
important tht I haven't touched on?

I hope you don't find my questions overwhelming, prying, or
irritating. I'm definitely going to have to plan a trip there as I get
to know the university, but I want to know details to see if it's
right for me, first. The website just doesn't give enough details, and
asking for information from universities never works, since it's all
in print and doesn't scan well...I've only had one college ever send
me a CD with information instead of print materials.

Thank you again fro writing to me, and I hope to hear back from you
when you have time. How are mid-terms going? I hope all is going well,
and y ou're all ready for fall break!

--
~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!