[nabs-l] Hand outs etc.

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 1 20:22:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I do what I can to keep up.
You all don't seem to understand the situation and you all think that
scanning solves the problems. I reiterate that some of these are tables and
sometimes on colored paper.

I do indeed do things myself.  But why don't I have the right to have a
level playing field?
I have this accomodation. Yes not only do I speak to the profs but
I also remind them either in email or after class to send me information.
Most professors have been good in the past; in fact most classes rely on
lecture/discussion so handouts and print matterial are really not an issue.
Yes there is a breakdown of communication because one professor teaches so
many classes he doesn't respond to emails.

I think school is hard enough that asking for them to follow an agreed upon
accomodation is not unreasonable.
I mean I pay the same tuition, so why can't I have equal access?  I was in a
journalism class and I remember handouts being passed out to read in groups.
I think we were supposed to pick out the lead or something. Anyway, this was
not accessible and reading two or three days later frankly doesn't help me
in class.
So I advocated and had it read to me!  But had I had it ahead of time I
wouldn't have had to be taken out of class for this reading.
We left class because it would be disturbing for other students to hear us.
Then we came back
and I joined my group.  I believe that such accomodations help us and we can
compete equally then.
Also, isn't in the ADA and other civil rights laws we should have stuff in
accessible format?

Well, if we disagree oh well. I won't waste my time arguing.
You NFB students really send mixed messages when you think websites need to
be accessible and other course content and then do not support something
like accessible handouts.
Well, the same logic applies. Well, you can work harder, do extra steps, and
have a reader read you inaccessible content.
Then for inaccessible documents, we can just scan them all.

Ashley