[nabs-l] Hand outs etc.

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 21:13:27 UTC 2011

Ashley,
  I think you raise a very good point with the inaccessible web sites.
 And I'd say yes, as long as the sites aren't accessible and we need
to use them, we do what we need to.  I've had to have roommates and
friends help read me inaccessible stuff before...is it fair, no.
Should we push to make things more accessible and equal?  Of course.
But they aren't, and we do need to deal with that.  In lots of ways
the deck is stacked against us as blind students- we need to do extra
to get our materials, etc.  It's not right, it's not fair, it's life.
  And yeah, getting stuff from professors is, I think, the best option
when they already have the dang thing in electronic format.  But if
they aren't responding, I think it's up to you to solve the situation
however you have to.  And it'll probably involve a lot of figurative
blood, sweat and tears.  That, unfortunately, is the way it works.  It
shouldn't be...we should have equal access.  We're fighting for equal
access.  We have more equal access than the blind college students 20
years ago.  But it's still not equal, and if we're going to succeed we
have to work harder than the average student, spend lots more extra
time than the average student, get more help than the average student,
find more solutions than the average student...in short, we're gonna
have a rougher go of it than the average student.  It's not right, but
the sooner we get used to it the sooner we'll succeed.
  Equal access is a worthy goal- I think an attainable goal, but we're
not there yet.  so, unfortunately, that means we're fighting an uphill
battle and we have to work even harder.
  Sorry for my rant.  This is just what I've been realizing as I've
been struggling through college and having a harder time than I
thought I would.
  Best,
Kirt