[nabs-l] College Course Material: Accessible eTextBooks, Braille, and Tactile Graphics

Kevin Chao kevinchao89 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 14:32:56 UTC 2011

CourseSmart started work in Spring 2010 to be accessible to all,
including those with print-disabilities.

I'll detail a brief timeline:
* Spring and Summer 2010: lots of work went into making website,
downloadable reader, and web reader accessible.
* Fall 2010: Downloadable reader was made accessible; partnered with
AMAC and AccessTextNetwork to form STudent E-Rental Pilot Project
(STEPP) with a grant from Department of Education (DOE).
* Springg2011: Web reader was made very accessible and includes
remediation/tagging from AMAC.
* Over next 2-years, STEPP with DOE funding will continue to work on
affordable, accessible, innovative, and great eTextBook rental pilot
project.

STEPP has many goals, including making eTextBooks a reality to all,
including print-disabled, ADA and section 504 compliance, and
streamlining process in this space.

CourseSmart has sample and full eTextBooks, which are fully accessible
Due to publishers and DRM, there is one caveat. If using Web reader,
in order  for book text to be accessible, one must email
accessibility at coursesmart.com informing that one is a screen reader
user and screen reader flag must be enabled. If this is not done,
experience will be what sighted have, where book text is a picture of
physical page.
This  limitation does not exist if one is using downloadable reader.

Please for all questions, concerns, and suggestions about CourseSmart
accessibility:
accessibility at coursesmart.com
is an absolutely fantastic contact.

Kevin