[nabs-l] Hand outs etc.

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:49:55 UTC 2011

I don't think I ever said, and certainly never intended to imply, that
asking for handouts and other reading materials in accessible electronic
formats is wrong, lazy, or not the correct approach. I absolutely advocated
with my profs to get materials emailed to me. The issue, as I see it, is
that once it becomes clear that you are not going to get what you need in a
class, many students are unwilling to just suck it up and go the extra mile
to ensure their own success. Yes, there is a legal obligation to provide
materials. Yes, it may very well be an agreed upon accommodation. But,
unfortunately, at times, laws are broken and obligations are ignored. Again,
not directed at anybody in particular, but many blind students waste so much
time whining and complaining about what we are not getting, that it would
take less effort to simply get a reader or scan something. Unless you are
going to bring an ADA or IDEA case about the issue, complaining isn't going
to do you any good. Like Bridgit, I definitely understand that there are
cases that are worth picking a fight over, but I simply don't believe that
some busy or forgetful prof not sending handouts is a case worth taking to
court. Of course we all should have equal access, and we should continue to
fight for that. But, as I say, what should be and what actually is are two
very different things. We can choose to fixate on how things should be and
refuse to pick up the slack, as unfair is it might be, or we can advocate
for what we need the best we can, while realizing that we might not always
get it, and when we don't, we might have to work harder than the average
sighted student relative to access to material. Also, keep in mind, sighted
students have their own difficulties to work through, they are different for
each individual, but we all have our own crosses to bear, so to speak.

The equivalency drawn with the fights over web access is a false one. When
it comes to website accessibility, we are advocating for equal access, as I
think we all agree we should be. Saying that I ought to have access to all
the same websites as sighted folks is very different than saying that when I
encounter a website that is inaccessible which I need to use, that I am not
going to get a reader to help me because, after all, I shouldn't have to. I
should have equal access. The second is more akin to the question at hand
about course materials.

There are two distinct questions. Should we advocate for and expect equal
access? Absolutely we should. Should we be willing and able to do extra work
to succeed when equal access, be it due to a lack of legal requirement,
others' disregard for rules and laws mandating equal access, or the failure
of individuals to comply with obligations? In my opinion, we had better be,
or we are only cheating ourselves out of achieving our own potential.

So, the only bandwagon I am on is the doing what it takes to succeed even if
you don't always like it, it may not be fair, and in a perfect world with
equal access I wouldn't have to bandwagon.

And, Ashley, just to be direct with you, what you are asking for is
completely reasonable. It would be the best option for you. They do have an
obligation to provide it to you. You are correct on all those points, and I
never intended to argue any of them. I only mean to address a broader
question of what we do when we don't get everything we should.

Sean