[nabs-l] Check out my latest blog

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:33:47 UTC 2011

My stories are true experiences.  Creative nonfiction, often refered to
as the fourth genre, simply means writing nonfiction with creative
tecniques such as dialogue, descriptive language, metaphor, conjecture,
scene development, etc.  Creative nonfiction is true, but it is written
applying the same techniques used in fiction.

CNF is a real genre, and it is the specific emphasis of my creative
writing degree.

Some CNF does take true stories and events and places them into a
creative format.  For instance, in a memoir writing, I wrote about a
situation from my childhood, but wrote it using fairytale language.
Once upon a time and all that.  All my stories were true, I just wrote
it as though I were telling a fairytale.

CNF also uses conjecture to attempt to "get inside" the minds of someone
else other than the narrator.

In my blog, I use metaphor and descriptive language to illustrate my
point.  I did not make-up what happened, but CNF writing attempts to dig
beneath the surface of our lives.  It does not just report real-life
events, but seeks to gleen understanding and meaning from real-life.

Most memoir and personal essay writing, especially nowadays, is
considered creative nonfiction.

Some of my favorite creative nonfiction writers are Maxine Hong
Kingston, David Sedaris, Annie Dillard and Jo Ann Beard.

Bridgit

Message: 2