[nabs-l] The Power of words--is this the image we want forourchildren with visual impairment?

humberto humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Fri Apr 8 03:09:36 UTC 2011

My assumption is that the video is inaccessible and doesn't have
audio descriptions because they are only targeting sighted people
in this approach.  They probably either don't want blind people
to know that they're doing this kind of advertising and posting
this video about stereotypical misconceptions about blind people
because they probably know that the blind people who want to view
the video are going to be put down.  That is why I think the
video is inaccessible to us and without descriptions.  This is
just my opinion on this.  Any thoughts?

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:10:03 -0600
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] The Power of words--is this the image we
want forourchildren with visual impairment?

>So...what exactly's going on with this.  I was confused, being
totally
>blind and all, but for you to get this insensed about it there
must be
>a lot more going on I can't figure.

>On 4/6/11, bookwormahb at earthlink.net <bookwormahb at earthlink.net>
wrote:
>> I have a little vision and some of it did show begging.
>> There were little actual words so I'm not sure of all the
content.
>> Perhaps you are sighted, Ann andcan explain what action was
offensive?
>> Its sad when comericials come about that pick on a minority.

>> Ashley

perception of the
>> blind right back in the 19th century and the unemployment rate
of capable
>> blind people sky high.

>> I understand the point of the message but for those of us
involved in the
>> struggles for equal civil rights and opportunities for people
with
>> disabilities things like this video disgust and sadden us.  It
undoes so
>> much of the work that we are doing.

>> This video really illustrates how well-meaning people can do
great harm
>> while trying to do good.

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

>> Anne Ward