[nabs-l] Interesting topic for discussion: Is Technology Turning into Our Enemy?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:06:55 UTC 2011

Hello NABSTERS,

This was posted on another list.  It is a topic I find interesting, and
one we should consider and discuss.  I am curious to hear student
opinions, and what your experience has been regarding technology.  Is
there a balance in how we use this technology?

One of the things I like in your note was your observation that "We now
have the opportunity to explore a future of our own making.  Jobs,
school and families are not dreams we long for, but are realities within
our reach."

One of the questions I've been struggling with is how to start a
dialogue, probably in the Braille Monitor, about whether these are still
the widely-shared dreams of blind people. I read the statistics about
our unemployment, and in my job searches have certainly encountered
discrimination, but I can't tell you of very many Missourians who are
actively out looking for work. Neither can I tell you about many who are
employed.

In my younger days there were blind people who were smart and articulate
who simply would not tackle the challenge of going to get a job. Some of
them were amateur radio operators and spent their days doing good by
taking Western Union style messages and sending them free of charge
across the country and the world. The message might be as simple as
happy birthday or as complicated as "I'm going in for surgery tomorrow.
I will let you know how it goes. I will appreciate your prayers." Still
other amateur radio operators would connect their telephone and radio
and help people talk to loved ones. This, of course, was before the days
of free long distance.

The thing I want to focus on here was that the folks who spent most of
their time doing this substituted these volunteer tasks for employment.
They were not seeking jobs. They were getting fulfillment but from a
very different source because our society, whether through SSI, SSDI I,
the Missouri blind pension, or some other program, was perfectly willing
to give them at least a minimal level of support and didn't challenge
them with the tough question "Why aren't you employed?"

Today I think I see our young blind folks substituting the Internet for
ham radio. Maybe they are all about building websites to communicate
something special they believe they know about blindness. Some do their
own radio shows. Some make podcasts. The shows and topics seem to be all
over the place. On one podcast I follow, which is usually technical in
nature, one person put up a recording demonstrating how to change a
diaper, while another produced a podcast of his dog guide popping the
bubbles that are found in shrink wrap. Both were similar--lots of
rustling plastic but not a lot of information. I do not object to what
anyone wants to do for entertainment, but my concern is that these
playtime activities are being substituted for what I see as a major life
activity and responsibility, that being to earn a living and do these
other things as time allows.

I think the question I would like to explore is whether the work ethic
which burned in so many folks of my generation still is prevalently
found today. If not, who put out the fire and how do we rekindle it? Is
our safety net frequently being used as a means of permanent support,
and, if it is, is there something we can and should do about it?

Some folks I know claim they had to do upwards of a hundred interviews
to get their first job. Is this still true today? If so, I'm not hearing
about it. My fear is that, with all of the civil rights protections and
advances in technology, we still have a significant number of
intelligent blind people who aren't taking advantage of a world which is
more receptive today than ever it has been in the past to getting us
employed and accepting us as capable human beings in society.

I think the dream we share is worth dreaming and that what we dream of
is attainable. Are there more effective ways for us to sell this dream?
If so, how can our newsletters and our Braille Monitor help?  As I look
at the most recent issue of the students late, it is perfectly obvious
to me that some still buy the dream. The question really is how many,
and are there better ways for us to sell the dream of equality so that
more young folks act on it?

I see technology being the downfall for society in general, but this
post presents a very serious issue.  We know far too many blind people
still refuse to believe in complete independence, but how is this
reliance on technology affecting the situation?

What are student thoughts?  Do you see this trend, and if so, what can
be done to tackle it?  What areas do you think need work, and can you
propose any ideas to change a larger population of blind peoples
mindsets?

Bridgit