[nabs-l] Interesting topic for discussion: Is Technology Turning into Our Enemy?

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:04:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Yes, balance is most certainly the key. My opinion, though I feel
strongly, isn't right or wrong, it just is what it is. While I prefer
older technology, there's a time and a place for everything. You can
use a computer for something, but what happens when it breaks? You
better have an alternative. That's my problem: people have become too
short-sighted. They want to use their IPhone/computer/what have you at
the complete exclusion of everything else. This goes for everyone,
whether they're blind, sighted or whatever. Blatant advertising and
peer pressure plays a big part in this, especially in this generation
when we're constantly bombarded by so many different gadgets and
concepts. It's easy to see how it will all spiral out of control. It's
amusing to me to think of how people in the previous generation
probably thought the same thing when the computer was first
introduced, or when records switched from being made out of shellac to
vinyl, or when tapes were replaced by CD's, but I digress. I consider
myself a hobbyist when it comes to older technology. it fascinates me.
But I do know when it's time to bite the bullet and dive into
something new. I may be more cautious than the average person in that
respect, but my methods haven't failed me yet.
As for the point about the Internet, that point is well taken. I was
in no way implying that we should regress to the point where Internet
isn't in existance. I was simply pointing out that one can get lost in
it, gain a sense of purpose just from their online communities, and
that's not healthy. Again, balance is key. I've had experience on both
sides of the fence with this issue as well, so i can definitely see
how one can feel important because their voice is being heard, or they
have a lot of online friends. The Internet itself is neither good nor
bad, it's what you do with it that makes it so in your own life.