[nabs-l] Interesting topic for discussion: Is TechnologyTurning into Our Enemy?

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sat Apr 9 05:12:40 UTC 2011

I agree with Desiray. There is no need to pass quick judgement.
Meanwhile, I think it's pretty neat that people are still interested in
vintage technology. I think it's awesome that people are still using
it. I have to say that if I had my way, I would probably still be using
my braille lite from ten years ago--if it hadn't broken. I am of the
same opinion that people who learn through actual reading and writing
retain much more information than through auditory learning. I was
fortunate enough to have been tought braille exclusively at an early
age, and I can also vouch for the fact that I probably am more aware of
grammar and punctuation than those who learned through listening. I am
not knocking auditory learning by the way; I am not trying to be a
snob. I  am aware that sometimes, an individual can only obtain media
and books via audio or computers with screen readers.
Anyways, the point of this not-so-well-thought out, late-night ramble
of mine is, vintage technology is cool and I admire those who prefer to
use it over the latest tech gadgets. I personally think there should be
a healthy balance of both; As so many people have already said, one
needs to be resourceful and keep backup tools in order to ensure that
they can  execute their tasks.
I am also twenty one, and I will proudly admit that I have no desire to
get an ipod or an Iphone; Not because I don't admire their
capabilities. I love apple, and I respect their awesome technology. I
have no desire to use a touch screen, though, and I like the idea of a
phone being a phone, primarily. I  never even use text messaging. Sure,
I love the internet just like everyone else, but I also believe that
too much of anything is unnecessary and unhealthy. And  that includes
technology.