[nabs-l] Interesting discussion: Is Technology Turning into Our Enemy?

Jorge Paez computertechjorgepaez at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:15:13 UTC 2011

Bridgit:

You are right on most points.
One thing we have to keep in mind, and I think this has been said in several National  speeches,
is that
we are not second class citizens,
but neither are we above the sighted.
I think the biggest complaint many people have is that on the one hand we have some lazy folks who think "I'm blind I can't do anything" (yes, I've seen that mentality before) and on the other hand we have the "I'm blind, so I deserve it" attitude.
Neither of these are good,
because on the one hand,
one denigrates you,
the other creates an image of elitism.
And I think both ends have given the blind community a bad reputation in many people's minds.

Let us just keep in mind that while yes, the legal system is there, it is not a support for our inability at certain times, to do reasonable things--such as be responsible for part of our technological costs.
Sure I know its expensive,
but like Bridget said, its hard work and determination that gets us places.

Use the legal/funding resources you have,
but don't get too used to it,
because those who use up the system and never have enough character to get anywhere are exactly the people we, (I mean the NFB) does NOT support.

Jorge