[nabs-l] accessible cell phones

humberto humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Sun Apr 10 19:26:04 UTC 2011

Hi katie.

My phone is a Nokia 3650 phone. This phone was the latest
smartphone back in 2003, and, obviously, is quite outdated now.
It runs Talks version 2.0 (an old but compatible version), and it
runs beautifully, I don't have any major problems with my phone.
My teacher of the blind was so generous and bought this phone for
me off E-bay and he also installed the version of Talks for me.
So you might look around for a similar phone and see if you can
afford a version of talks or mobile-speak that is suitable for
that phone. Or perhaps you may ask around, see what you can find.
Cheers, Humberto

Some
>phones like the Samsung Haven Bridget mentioned are great for
this
>purpose, but they seem to be exclusively carried by Verizon
Wireless
>(I currently use T-mobile). I know that screen readers like Talks
and
>Mobile Speaks are compatible with some earlier models of Nokia
phones,
>but it's hard to locate them in the market as they are so
out-of-date
>(I'm not interested in investing in the KNFB Mobile Reader at
this
>point, so one of these phone-reader packages will not work for
me).
>Has anyone found a good solution for this problem? Any
suggestions