[nabs-l] Summer Opportunities for Blind Youth in Northern California

Stacy Cervenka stacy.cervenka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:10:49 UTC 2011

The Society for the Blind in Sacramento, California is pleased to be
offering two exciting summer opportunities for blind and visually impaired
youth in the northern California region.

Employment Readiness and Experience (Ages 16 and Older)

In June and July, we will again be conducting our Business Enterprise
Program/Youth Empowerment Program (BEP/YEP). This 5-week program places
blind and visually impaired youth in part-time summer jobs at  businesses
owned and operated by blind professionals. Youth will be paid for working
Monday through Thursdays. On Fridays, participants will come to the Society
for the Blind for seminars in job readiness (interviewing skills, resume
writing, career exploration, self-presentation, self-advocacy, etc.) and the
skills of blindness (cane travel, Braille, low vision aids, adaptive
technology, etc).

Summer Camp (Ages 11-18)

>From August 4-15, youth are invited to our annual Summer Youth Retreat. At
our Youth Retreat, we demonstrate our belief in our youth by both supporting
and demanding excellence. All youth are expected, with training, to
participate without direct physical assistance from staff.  This means they
gather their own wood for campfires, find their own way down gravel paths,
and prepare their own lunches. Each day, students will participate in
activities such as swimming, water games, field games, hiking, goalball,
judo, and horseback riding. Experiences with orientation and mobility,
Braille, daily living skills, and adaptive technology will also be offered.
Evenings will be filled with campfires, skits, talent shows, and other
opportunities for youth to share experiences and learn from each other and
from their blind counselors. The first week of the camp will take place at
Camp Ross Relles, a wilderness camp owned and operated by the local Lions
Clubs of northern California. Two meals a day (breakfast and supper) will be
provided by Camp Ross Relles kitchen staff. Students will have the
opportunity to prepare their own lunches. For the final weekend of camp,
youth will stay in Sacramento, where they will learn about using public
transportation, urban travel, and visit the Society for the Blind for
seminars in adaptive technology, college and career readiness, and other
blindness skills.

If you know of any blind or visually impaired youth who may be interested in
either or both of these innovative and exciting summer programs, please
contact Stacy Cervenka, Youth Programs Coordinator, at
scervenka at societyfortheblind.org or (916) 889-7545.

Stacy Cervenka

Youth Programs Coordinator

Society for the Blind