[nabs-l] mobility question

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:14:17 UTC 2011

Hi RJ and all,
I'd like to back up from the certification issue for a moment, and
address what the intern said. I don't think it's fair to tell anyone
they "can't do mobility". Even if you had no legs, you would still
find a way to navigate your environment. Just like we all have
different levels of ability at reading and math, we also have
different levels of competence in travel and spatial understanding.
But that doesn't mean any of us can't learn how to travel
independently at all. You may need to start with more basic training
in directions and mental mapping than the average O&M student, but
that doesn't mean you can't start somewhere. I wouldn't let that
extremely negative intern get to you even if she does have a
certification. If you want to learn how to cross streets or navigate
your home city on your own, then try to find a different O&M
instructor or, if you can, make your way to a residential center like
one of our NFB training centers. The centers have worked with a lot of
different kinds of students including students who have trouble
walking, who have intellectual disabilities or who are deaf-blind. I
trust the NFB centers will accept you with open arms and be able to
teach you what you need to learn.
Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org