[nabs-l] professors and preferential treatment

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 04:21:30 UTC 2011

Hi Kurt,
I'm a little confused-did the final already happen for the rest of the
students? If so, were you planning to take it later because of
alternative testing procedures? Or, has your section's final not
happened yet?
You're definitely in a tough situation and I admire you for seeking
the fair path rather than the easy one. I do have a couple of comments
based on my past work as a teaching assistant. First, nowadays there
is a lot of external pressure on professors to be lenient (sometimes
overly so) in their grading. It does sound like this guy is generally
very lenient in his grading for all students. Since he did say he
offers grade adjustments to all students who repeat the class, it
doesn't sound to me like blindness was a factor at all in the
decision, unless, as I asked about above, you are taking the final
later than everyone else because of your particular testing
accommodations. This brings me to my second observation from teaching
and that is that oftentimes professors don't like dealing with late
tests. We tend to grade tests (and especially finals) all at once and
so it takes some extra effort to grade the tests that come in later
and add the new grades to the gradebook. I have TA'ed for professors
who have waived students' late finals in order to avoid this extra
hassle. So if you are needing to take the final exam late because of
alternative testing procedures, it may well just be easier for your
professor to not have to grade it.
One way to avoid having to take tests late, if you don't already do
this, is to request to take your tests on your laptop in the regular
classroom. Your prof can email you the test, or give it to you on a
thumb drive, and you can email it back. In my experience about 95% of
professors are fine with this arrangement. This has the advantage that
your test is received and scored at roughly the same time as everyone
else's.
Best of luck!
Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org