[nabs-l] When a loved one goes sighted

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 04:46:08 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This is a very interesting topic. You may recall that a few years ago,
I disseminated a survey about attitudes toward sight restoration that
I made up for my biology/psychology honors thesis. In the survey, I
asked respondents how interested they would be in taking a "magic
pill" that would confer 20/20 vision instantly, with no risks or side
effects. I also asked respondents how interested they would be in
undergoing various experimental procedures such as retinal prostheses
and gene therapy. The results of the survey were quite interesting.
The majority of respondents (72%) said they would be interested in
taking the "magic pill" but a substantial minority (18%) said they
would not want to take the pill, even if it would give them perfect
sight with no risks or side effects. (The rest were undecided). I also
measured respondents' attitudes toward blindness and the degree to
which they felt being blind was important to their identity. The
people most likely to not want the magic pill were those who both
identified strongly with blindness and who had very positive attitudes
toward being blind. Not surprisingly, those who had been blind from
birth were least interested. Finally, less than half the respondents
said they would be interested in undergoing specific treatments, with
the least invasive treatment (gene therapy) eliciting interest from
about 45% of respondents.
It is apparent that many of us think it would be cool to have sight,
but not all of us are interested in it and certainly many of us are
concerned about the imperfections of the medical technologies
currently being developed. Personally, I think it would be kind of fun
to be able to see (I liken it in my head to being able to time-travel,
or having GPS or a really powerful computer) but I wouldn't want to
undergo any kind of invasive procedure or anything that would put me
out of commission for a while. Much of my hesitation comes from the
fact that I have been fortunate not to have ever had major surgery or
been admitted to the hospital. I do have a bit of medical phobia and
the thought of having any kind of non-essential surgery kind of freaks
me out, but I also feel like going through such an intense procedure
would compromise the health and productivity that I enjoy, at least
temporarily. And, as others have mentioned, I am not optimistic that I
would actually be able to read, drive, and enjoy the other functional
perks of sight without a lot of practice and adjustment. Essentially,
I would have to undergo independence training (learning to read print,
travel using vision, drive, coordinate colors, etc.) all over again.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org