[nabs-l] Need Advice: Accessible Planners

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Thu Apr 21 17:54:05 UTC 2011

It's really going to come down to functionality and price. Something like a
PacMate or BrailleNote is more expensive and has less functionality.
However, they also have less clutter than your basic computer. The
BrailleNote has a closed system, which means that the only programs that
will run on it are the ones made by HumanWare, so no viruses or other junk.
The BrailleNote is also smaller and lighter than most laptops. The
BrailleNote comes with either style of keyboard and your choice of no
Braille display, an 18 cell display, or a 32 cell display. The one with no
display (which is actually called a VoiceNote) costs about $200.

    The touch screen is not that hard to learn. The iPhone costs a lot less
than the electronic notetakers. You can also buy bluetooth keyboards and
Braille displays to use with the iPhone.

If you get a Mac laptop, your good to go out of the box because of
VoiceOver. However, if you purchase a Windows laptop, you are going to have
to get a screen reader to go with it.