[nabs-l] professors and preferential treatment

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:37:33 UTC 2011

Jedi,
  It's too late to take it in any case- I decided to accept his offer
for two reasons.
1.  The final would've lowered my grade, because I didn't know the
material enough for it to stay at a B.  This was pretty much my
professor showing me mercy and cutting me a break which, although I
don't deserve, I'll accept because I'm reasonably certain he would've
given me if I had any other legitimate reason for taking the final
late excluding blindness.  (medical/family emergency, etc)
2.  The accommodations were definitely a legitimate reason to take the
final late.  I can say for certain I needed the accomodations I
requested, namely a human reader and the use of a braille writer.  And
the reader wasn't available during the regularly scheduled time
everyone else took the final.  So since I was taking the final late
for a legitimate reason, and my professor offered others taking the
final late the same chance he offered me to skip the final, I don't
feel like I'm cheating the system.  My professor's definitely cutting
me a lot of slack here, but I don't feel like I'm being dishonest by
taking it, and I certainly don't feel like he's doing this because I'm
blind.  But you make a very good point, and I definitely understand
where you're coming from on this one.
  Regards,
Kirt

>>> nabs.president at gmail.com